Sea Food Certification
Introduction of the Program:
Over one billion people depend upon seafood as their primary source is protein. Seafood certification programme aimed to strengthen seafood producers to act as a sustainable manner to encourage eco friendly changes. Certifier set a certain threshold for sustainable fisheries with implementing ecolabel standards. GICIA is working to certify fisheries, aquaculture production and chain of custody by standards like ASC (Aquaculture Stewardship Council) and MSC (Marine Stewardship Council). The ASC is a global organization working internationally with aquaculture producers, seafood processors, retail and foodservice companies, scientists, conservation groups and the public to promote the best environmental and social choice practices in aquaculture. MSC is a certification process to certify wild capture freshwater and marine fisheries to gain access into the market and buyers. CoC certification process assure the food retailers, restaurants, seafood traders and consumers to trace material upto the source of origin.
Services offered or Study details:
GICIA India Private limited provide supply chain analysis with flagship of SCS Global for auditing services for the organizations involved in seafood supply chain, including Private sector, Government, International development agency. We worked and continue to serve services to fishermen, processor, distributors, retailers and restaurants. GICIA is a responsible for ASC farm assessment, MSC Fisheries assessment, Fisheries Improvement Project (FIPs) and other project related to fisheries certification. Our global network of auditor is multilingual and highly knowledgeable about fisheries and seafood. We conduct both consultancy projects and auditing works on fisheries. We maintain a very clear separation and ensure that we do not undertake any consulting work which might impact on our auditing activity. GICIA work is always evidence based and fully transparent, so that clients have a clear understanding of were the information originated and why is utilized.
MSC Certification Process:
- Apply for Certification: Submit Application form, then you will need to sign the service agreement and returned to us.
- Authorize a work order: Work order contain scope, costs and details of the audit. Authorize the work order and schedule your audit.
- Optional Pre-Assessment: We evaluate the fishery’s qualifications and determines what risks, if any, may limit its ability to successfully complete a comprehensive assessment. An initial gap analysis against the MSC Standards, an action plan should be taken with regular reporting of progress against the action plan. An upfront commitment to enter full MSC assessment.
- On-Site Audit: The certification assessment team reviews documentation, interviews stakeholders and evaluates fisheries against specific performance.
- Audit Report and Public Comment: We write draft report, then the report is posted for public comment.
- Certification Decision: After considering all comments, a final report is released together with certification decision.
- Annual Surveillance: Certification is valid for 5 years, w.ef. to annual surveillance audit.
Chain of Custody Process:
- Submit Application form, agreement and proposal:
- Generate work order:
- Onsite Audit:
- Report Making:
- Certification Issuance:
ASC Farm Process:
- ASC certified product placed as a reputed and well-known product in the market.
- Well Documented Process and World-wide presence through web-based registry.
- Help protect the marine environment and secure fish stocks for the future.
- Earn greater market share and Tap maximum buyers in the globe.
- Gain a competitive edge in the marketplace by meeting customer demand for certified products.
- Manage resources to support long-term industry sustainability.
- Meet market demand for certified/sustainable products.
- Distinguish your brand in a crowded field. With Earn good price of the seafood product.
- Responsible farming practices and promote the benefits of responsible aquaculture.
- The benefits of the ASC programmer aren’t theoretical; they’re tangible. Improvements that benefit local communities, company stakeholders and the environment.
- Improved disease control and Better monitoring of discharge water and sludge. Improved waste treatment and Reduced fish mortality rates. More extensive benthic surveys.
- Improved staff training, and Improved standards propagated to state with Better relationships with local communities.
- Improved performance levels evident to stakeholders. Alignment with customer values brings greater financial rewards. More efficient processes lead to reduced dependence on fish meal and fish oil. Reduced fish in fish out ratio.
5: Relevant documents (a link to download application form or standard)
For more details Information you can directly contact us, or you can go through with ASC and MSC Website (Link as given below)
The Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) is proud to announce that more than 620 farms have achieved ASC certification in 43 countries.
6: Contact details
Dr. Abu Bakar Ansari, Ph.D (Fisheries)
Lead Auditor, Manager-ASC Standards
Mr. Kirit Kene, MBA (ABM), B.F.sc
Assistant Manager-ASC Standards